JASON CLARE MP
SHADOW MINISTER FOR HOUSING AND HOMELESSNESS
SHADOW MINISTER FOR REGIONAL SERVICES,
LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND TERRITORIES
MEMBER FOR BLAXLAND
EMMA MCBRIDE MP
SHADOW ASSISTANT MINISTER FOR MENTAL HEALTH
SHADOW ASSISTANT MINISTER FOR CARERS
MEMBER FOR DOBELL
HOUSING COSTS THROUGH THE ROOF ON THE CENTRAL COAST
The cost of rent on the Central Coast has jumped three times as much in the last year than it has in Sydney.
In the year to September, the median rent in Sydney has increased by 5.5 per cent.
On the Central Coast, the median rent has jumped by a massive 15.9 per cent.
This includes a jump of:
- 31.2 per cent in Saratoga
- 15.3 percent in Forresters Beach
- 13 percent in Bateau Bay
- 12.2 percent in The Entrance North
- 19.2 percent in Avoca Beach
- 17 percent in Kariong
- 14.3 percent in North Gosford, and
- 14.3 percent in Umina Beach
After almost a decade in Government, housing affordability has only got worse under the Liberals.
It’s harder to buy, it’s harder to rent and there are more homeless Australians than ever before.
There is no easy fix, but it does require leadership from the Federal Government.
One of the most obvious things we need to do is build more affordable housing.
That’s why an Albanese Labor Government will establish the Housing Australia Future Fund which will build 30,000 social and affordable homes across the country.
Over the first five years, it will build:
- 20,000 new social housing properties, including 4,000 homes for women and children fleeing domestic and family violence and older women on low incomes who are at risk of homelessness; and
- 10,000 affordable homes for the heroes of the pandemic – frontline workers like police, nurses and cleaners that kept us safe in the covid pandemic.
MEDIA CONTACTS: ARLEY BLACK (CLARE) 02 9790 2466